Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

OOD 5


The string webbed through the mimosa tree, fern like leaves and feather like flowers.  I tugged on the string and the branches shivered, but nothing gave.  The dragon kite was perched on the highest arm laughing at me with bugged eyes and flared nostrils.  I stamped my foot as its tonuge slithered out mocking me.

I pulled up on the lowest branch and kicked at the trunk until I could grasp the next limb.  I shimmied up the tree.

The kite was only five feet above me--I could make it if I was careful.  The limbs grew smaller as I squirmed upward.  The swayed underneath my weight.  I held on tightly, my knees knocking at the precarious situation.
My arms became sore clinging for my life, my hands pinched and raw.  I was stuck.  The kite barely out of reach.  I was too high up to safely climb back down.

I bit my lip holding back my tears.

"Mom? What are you doing in that tree?"
"Robbie!  I took your new kite for a test run.  Go get your Dad--tell him to bring the ladder, the one we use for Christmas lights."

I swallowed the lump in my throat, as I watched Robert run towards home, help was on the way.  Darn kite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment